We had our first produce off the plot today! Sadly not something I can take credit for planting, but the strawberries left on the plot by the previous owner have started ripening. There are at least three varieties we think, judging by fruit size and shape, but we have no idea which. Whatever they are, they're all extremely tasty. I only hope we can beat the slugs/birds to the rest as they ripen up.
We spent a couple of sessions on the plot this weekend. Saturday was really rather hot and we got a little singed. Sunday was less sunny and extremely windy, with a quick but sharp rain shower that drove us into the shed for shelter.
There was yet more digging, and we now have about 3/4 of the whole plot dug over, with the rest (barring a small area left to dig) under the weed suppressing membrane, where it will most likely stay for this year. We will grow pumpkins and squash across it so it won't go to waste. Many thanks to Anne as always, who doesn't seem to mind digging while I'm faffing about in the greenhouse or planting stuff.
On Saturday I started fixing up my greenhouse drip irrigation system, which is basically a Big Drippa low pressure system that is going to be connected to a 100 litre water butt rather than the quite miserly 10 litre bag the system comes with - this should keep the plants inside the greenhouse watered for at least a week without any rain topping up the butt. On Sunday I moved in the first plants, two tomatoes (Moneymaker and Ferline) and two sweet peppers (Dulce Italiano and another sweet bell variety, the name of which escapes me at the moment). I'm using large pots rather than growbags, as pots are re-usable and easier to move about should I need to.
Outside the greenhouse the Under-Gardener and I sowed some carrots, parsnip and spinach on Saturday, and on Sunday I planted five more tomato plants (one Moneymaker, two Ferline and two Tamina), well staked against the wind! We also planted a total of ten Russian Giant sunflowers, both around our compost heap and alongside one of the sheds.
The plot really is starting to look like a proper allotment now, and so far most things are growing away well. I'll be back in the week to check on the greenhouse pots and try to grab some more strawberries before the wildlife gets to them.